How low can you go?

18 February 2009


I haven't spoken a word about this woman thus far because, like mamma says, if you can't say something nice... well, you get the picture.

It's been a rough road for the mother of octuplets, Nadya Suleman. Not only does she have a total of 14 children, live in a three-bedroom home with her mother, and refuse to get a job; but now she's losing her home!

Perez Hilton reports that Nadya's mother has neglected to pay any mortgage payments since May 2008!

After digging around a bit, I've also found that this family has trouble paying for anything. TMZ.com has discovered that around two years ago, she got a boot on her van for having multiple delinquent parking citations while going to class at Cal State Fullerton. Not only was her car disabled, but she had left two of her children in the car while she was in class! Check out the story and the pictures here.

After all the headlines, I have something to say. Buckle up kiddies, it's time for a rant.

I would first like to say that I do not have issues with reproductive aids for those who need them. I understand that many times, one of two partners in a couple may be infertile. I am not sure what Nadya's reasoning is, but again, when it comes to her body, I believe she can do what she wants with it and face the consequences when they come around.

Regardless of my beliefs, however, she has crossed the line into irresponsibility. She is being a reckless mother. I am not one to judge as I am not a parent, but I cannot imagine under the current circumstances that these children will grow up with the resources they need to have a healthy, productive, and meaningful life. No matter what Suleman says, no matter how much love is in her heart, it will be difficult for her to provide herself emotionally to that many children at once.

This woman is being reckless financially as well. She knew that she could not afford her kids. From the looks of this recent website, she was looking to get donations to help raise them all along, just as many multiple-birth couples have had in the past. The difference is that those couples were trying to help themselves, Suleman is not. Allegedly, she has a nanny that takes care of the kids--for $500 a week! Five-hundred dollars a week for a nanny when they can't afford to keep their home? She's not even working to try to support them! This nanny is naive--where is this money coming from? She claims not to be getting help from the government, but recent revelations reveal those claims to be complete bullshit.

I feel sorry for these children and I hope that they are able to reach every goal that they set in their lives. I feel sorry that their mother is so irresponsible and batshit crazy. I can only hope that there is someone out there that will give the kids what they need to succeed. I am not one to advocate families being separating, but if things don't begin to straighten out, maybe the foster system would be a better option.

What this woman does with her life is none of my business--to each her own. My concern is for the children and her irresponsibility, I feel, is going to make lasting impressions on each of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment